Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Husqvarna leaf blower 125 BV x series that will not

Customer Question

I have a Husqvarna leaf blower 125 BV x series that will not start. Unit is 1 year old. It has spark and I have gone through carb twice and found no corrosion or problems at all. Very clean. The spark is blue. The spark plug is new. compression on multiple pulls is over 100. it will not even fire on starting fluid. I disconnected all kill switch wires as well. any ideas?> Tim
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello Tim. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. Did our problem occur suddenly, or gradually, over time?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Will your engine start up briefly, if you spray carburetor cleaner, directly into your carburetor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine will not fire with gas directly into carb or carb cleaner
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Tim, thanks for this information. Have you checked to see if your piston and cylinder is scored? Have your checked to see if your muffler is clogged?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No scoring in combustion chamber looking through the exhaust and intake openings. Very clean. Muffler and spark arrester clean as well. Unit is two years old.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good compression when it was together.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked your flywheel key?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Flywheel key is in great shape.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
You said that your compression on multiple pulls, are over 100 psi. Are you having to pull more than 10 times? What about your cylinder bolts? Are they tight?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just pulled 4 times and all cylinder bolts on the bottom are tight and no leakage evident anywhere at cylinder base.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No leakage at all on crankshaft seals
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
How did you check your seals?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried starting your engine, with your muffler remove?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Visual and not even damp around seals
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I did not do that. I have muffler in my hand now and it appears to be pretty clean. But I did not try to start with muffler off.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
That is a good general way to check them, but to get a more detailed check, you will need to do a vacuum test, and a pressure test.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Keep in mind that an engine needs three things in order to start up and run properly. Fuel, Spark, and Compression.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
You have a blue spark, you have fuel (carburetor cleaner) ...
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
This leaves your compression to question.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Do your piston have an excessive amount of carbon build up on top of it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no...not at all. just a dusting of black which is pretty normal.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I agree, that is normal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Exhaust port from the cylinder is very clean and zero carbon.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Here is a breakdown of your engine.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
There has to be an air leak somewhere. If you like, I can opt out, to see if one of the other experts can assist you with something I may have missed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for trying and also for the breakdown of engine confirming we were dealing with same unit. It is the engine....identical.
Go ahead and opt out .....what does that mean? Do I start over or are there others who can see the communication we have had.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess that means you gave up on me and want to defer question to someone else.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
The other experts will be able to see our discussion in full detail. I am not giving up on you. I enjoy working with you. I do not mind continuing with you. Because your satisfaction is important to me, my hope is for you to get a solution to our problem.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you would like for you and me to continue, or if you would like to give someone else a shot at this, in case I am overlooking something.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
I think your problem is the compression. 100 psi is extremely low for the 2 cycle blower. It needs to be 140 psi. At 100 psi, it will not run/start. Has it ever been run with wrong oil mix or straight gas?