Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

John Deere GX345. 20 HP Kawasaki, vtwin, liquid cooled made

Customer Question

John Deere GX345. 20 HP Kawasaki, vtwin, liquid cooled made in september of 2002.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: The unit will run for a period of time then die. Need to choke to get it to start, even though hot and then need to keep the choke on to get it to sort of run. Dies once the choke is off. Intermittent problem. Repair shop could not duplicate. Did clean out fuel lines, replace filter.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Small Engine Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: Problem persists.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.
There is electric solenoid in the base of the carburetor. It plugs the main jet and if it closes, the engine will die. It has to have 12 volts as long as the key is on. It can overheat or can loose connection. With main jet closed, the only way fuel would get through carburetor would be by using the choke.
#39 in the link below.
http://jdpc.deere.com/pimages/MP34/MP34913________UN19AUG04.gif
Did you get to check the fuel solenoid operation?