Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a John Deere 345. I have just replaced the key switch

Customer Question

I have a John Deere 345. I have just replaced the key switch and control board, as well as replaced the starter and solenoid. I did this because the starter engaged and stayed engaged in the "run" position. After the replacement of parts it is still doing this. I am totally stumped!!
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I can think of at this time. The engine does run but the starter is engaged so I can't run it for very long.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Does starter engage when you turn key to start? or as soon as key is turned on? If you remove the small switch wire from solenoid while engine is running, does starter stop running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It engages as soon as the key is turned from the "stop" position. There are four wires that connect to the starter solenoid. One is a small gauge wire (purple) that connects to a blade type connector on the solenoid. Another is small gauge red that connects to one of the large threaded terminals, and another is light blue (from what I have read online is a fusible link) which also connects to a threaded terminal on the solenoid. The last one is the large gauge red wire going directly to the battery. When I do not connect the smaller red wire to anything the starter will still engage immediately when key is turned. When I disconnect the light blue wire it will not run the starter at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the purple wire is disconnected it also does not engage the starter when the key is turned
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Purple is wire from the safety switch circuit. Light blue is the wire from keyswitch . Blue wire should be the energize wire. Trace the blue wire back and see where it goes and look for burned harness , where two wires could be melted together. Should wind up at the ignition module/keyswitch.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Did you find the problem? Please ACCEPT to close.