Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

Toro Wheel Horse 60th anniversary edition riding mower. Was

Customer Question

Toro Wheel Horse 60th anniversary edition riding mower. Was going today for first time this season, then when shifting into gears won't go back or forward. Acts like it's stuck in neutral. Need layout maybe of underneath gear shifter shield. I think maybe a spring or clip is not attached?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I can mover shifter but acts like it is in neutral. I pushed it back up to shed so brakes aren't stuck.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just paid. Could you please help.
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
I do apologize for the delay ...
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. So what do you think?
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
I would like to ask you some troubleshooting questions as we go.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok.
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
Do you have a manual shift, or hydro?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Manual down where I would look down if sitting on seat. I push in clutch with my foot and move gear shifter. Make sense?
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
Yes, well explained. If you shift out of neutral position, into one of your gears, will your mower roll, if you try pushing it?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did not try that. I just naturally put it in neutral and pushed it.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm thinking it will because I had to put the parking brake on when I parked it.
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
I am lead to believe your drive belt is either broken, loose, or off of one of your pulleys.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'll check that out in the morning. The belt looked all attached though. What if it didn't roll?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
( it's dark here now)
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
No problem. You can check tomorrow, and take your time. If you shift to first gear, and your mower does not roll, then it is very likely that our problem is belt related.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok. So I can get back on tomorrow?
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
Sure, just add a message to our discussion, and I will receive an alert indicating that you have responded. Keep in mind, that you will need to look closely at the belt, that goes from your engine, back to your transmission pulley.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok. Thank you.
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
You are very welcome!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So you are right. The drive belt is off the front pulley. I'm having trouble getting it on. I took some pictures. I'm not sure if the belt is suppose to go around or inside of the 2 black rods near pulley. I also can't move it too well.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Pic 2
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Pic 3
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Pic 4
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Pic 5
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Pic 6 all done
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the pictures. I will take a look at them.
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
Your belt needs to go inside of the two black rods near your pulley.
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
If you depress your clutch pedal fully, your belt should loosen enough, to go onto your pulley. You may need to get someone to depress your pedal for you, unless you can lock it in depressed position.