Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a LA130 mower that shuts down when I engage the blades.

Customer Question

I have a LA130 mower that shuts down when I engage the blades. The blades start to turn for 1 second and shut the engine off???
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
Hello Brian. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. What happens when you release your brake pedal? Does your engine shut down?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
On your John Deere mower, your seat switch cannot be bypassed. Let's try something.
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
Remove the wiring connector from your seat safety switch. clean and lightly lubricate it. Firmly re-attach it to your safety switch, then give your mower another try.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
last year it wouldnt start and i had to "hotwire " the seat switch. it worked fine until now.
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for letting me know. Have you double checked the wiring you used to hot wire your seat switch?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thats what i did before i got on the internet just now
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for this information. I would like to explain something to you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
Many times, if your engine shuts down, after you attempt to engage your blades, this is an indication that your safety system is falsely assuming that you are not in your seat, or is not in a safe operators position. This is why I always like to begin by focusing on your seat safety switch, and the wiring connector, that attaches to your seat safety switch.
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
How many terminals does your seat safety switch have?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
4 but 2 of them are connected with a factory jumper wire
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
You are correct, but the factory jumper is not a bypass wire. Take a look at your wiring connector. There is a spring loaded tab in the center of it. This tab is a mini safety switch, that is designed to shut your engine off, if you remove the connector from your seat safety switch.
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
This is why I suggested cleaning the connector, and re-attaching it, for troubleshooting purposes.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok. but the connector has been unplugged and hanging loose with my jumper wire installed and worked fine for the last year until now.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i have to run right now. i didnt plan on this much time right now. can this be continued?
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
I believe I can explain this. The tab was likely stuck for years, and finally loosened, due to vibrations.
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.
Sure, take your time Brian. We can continue later.