Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

My kubota321 is not

Customer Question

My kubota321 is not starting as easily as it use to. Everything was fine this spring. Replaced the battery but that did not help. Engine knda 'wheezes' before it finally turns over and starts running
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.
This is the three cylinder diesel engine. It does not spin the engine, or just hard to start? Do the glow plugs show to be working? Have the glow plugs ever been replaced?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
About 2800 hours on machine and glow plugs have never been replaced. Mower about 8 yrs old.How do i check the glow plugs?Engine isnt turning over properly. Makes that 'wheezing' sound (sorry dont know how to explain it) and then eventually starts up. I know it is hard to diagnose like this but would to have an idea so i can call dealer and say what i think it may be and order parts. they dont have much in inventoryHow can i check glow plugs?
They have a harness or strip , that runs to each glow plug. Check for voltage at the strip when key is turned to glow plug position. Should have battery voltage.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Checked with Kubota today and they said glow plugs seldom go bad, but I ordered three as they did not have any in stock. Serious problems today and after technicians checked it out they said it was the starter, which surprised me. However, they did show me what the problem was.I realize it is difficult to diagnose in this manner, but since the glow plugs were not the issue I would like to use my 'satisfaction guaranteed' and receive a refund for what I had paid.