Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

Used tiller won't start have the 274479 7 hp Briggs. Suspect

Customer Question

Used tiller won't start have the 274479 7 hp Briggs. Suspect need carburetor kit.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Bought 1996 Troy-built tiller it this winter. It was running at that time. Replaced splug and gas. Would part ethanol gas cause problem?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.
Yes the ethenol in the gas can cause a carburetor to gum up or the gas start breaking down within 3 months .
Try removing the air filter and spraying a little gas in the carburetor, if it starts momentarily then you know the carburetor either has bad gas in the bowl or is gummed up