Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I pulled out the freewheeling lever on my husqvarna mower to

Customer Question

I pulled out the freewheeling lever on my husqvarna mower to push it. Now when I push it back in to mow the mower won't drive. It's as if it is still pulled out. Any ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
was any thing done to mower between the freewheel being pulled? Like flat repair?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Is the pulley/fan on the top of transmission turning when engine is running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Ran out of gas close to shed so I just pushed it the rest of the way
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
http://www.husqvarna.com/ddoc/HUSI/HUSI2006_USen/HUSI2006_USen_I0602034_.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll check now
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Page 32 in the above parts manual shows the drive belt, if it is not turning when engine is running, the belt is off a pulley or broken!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah the pulley is spinning. When I push the freewheeling lever in mower will still roll
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Does it stop rolling when the freewheel lever is pushed in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Still rolls
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK, the freewheel rod goes up to the lever on the transmission, and I think has a spring on the end. The free wheel lever is not going back into place. It's easier to get at if the right wheel is off, but the lever needs to be freed up and moved forward.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. It does seem to push in but maybe not quite far enough? I'll pull wheel and see if I can get at it.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK< just feel for the freewheel link and it will go to the lever.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything looks ok with lever. It pushes in till the v fits in the v groove. Can't go any further. I worked it back and forth and looks in working order. Put wheel back on and same thing. Push on pedal does nothing
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
You can't move the lever further forward? I had to use a big crest on one that was stuck. tractor is not going to drive as long as it can be pushed.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
big crescent wrench!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't seem stuck. The lever has a v on it and the top of tranny has a v groove. I push the pin and it slides the lever into the groove. It can't go forward any more
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
If tractor still rolls, it will not drive. It is not going back into gear. If not the lever, the next is taking the transmission apart. You didn't drop the key to the axle when you removed the wheel? That will keep it from driving and it will roll free!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I was careful with axle key. Obviously has something to do with the lever. Can't go forward any further by design seems to be working properly. Taking tranny apart to do what?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Find out why lever is not working! See if you can determine if the shaft the lever would move is actually moving, and not loose on the lever.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I'll inspect further
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK>
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Did you find the problem?