Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a super z with 527hrs, right wheel blew out

Customer Question

I have a Hustler super z with 527hrs, right wheel blew out a large amount of fluid from hub would shaft seal be an option?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.
Can be the motor shaft seal, or the motor shaft may have bad bearing, which let seal blow out.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I already knew the seal was defective, my question it an option to replace the seal? I am getting conflicting comments from my local repair shop. Thanks Ted
If it is just seal failure it is option. If the shaft bearing has failed , replacing the seal is not option, will do no good.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Mr Curtis B. Thank you for your quick response to my question on my Hustler Super Z mower.You are 100% right on with your answers. The problem is, when I entered the "Just Answer" program I was misled into beliveing I would be speaking with a Hustler Technician. I have learned that "some" of the wheel drive units on the Hustler are repairable but most repair shops want to replace the unit at a cost of over $900.00. Again my unit only has 575hrs and should run 3 to 4 thousand hours before replacement is necessary. My background is in mechanics and had hoped to get by with a seal replacemet for now. I was originally reaching out after reading online that Hustler has terrible product support. Again thanks for the help, but I am right where I started, trying to find out if a seal can be replaced in my unit. Ted
Sure the seal can be replaced! Any hydraulc shop can do it. You may,with your background, be able to do it yourself, but the average guy should leave it for professional. A hydraulic shop can get the correct seal without having to to rely on Hustler.
I see question is still open. Please ACCEPT to close.