Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

Yard man riding lawnmower will not charge battery model no.

Customer Question

Yard man riding lawnmower will not charge battery model no. Cv16s
JA: I'm not following. Could you please explain?
Customer: Just replaced what looks like a regulater switch
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Mower wtays running withbooster pack but dies once disconnected. Turn on the lights and it will cut off also
JA: Anything else I can tell the Small Engine Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: I don't think so
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. If you have a multimeter you can test the charging system by putting the multimeter on dc 20v, then take the leads and touch the battery terminals. It should read 12.5 volts then start the tractor and it should be 2 volts higher. If not I'd check the stator / alternator . It's mounted under the flywheel and alot of times is the cause of a charging system issue . They can burn up due to mice nest etc
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.
The battery is charged by the stator(alternator) mounted under the flywheel, and has a voltage regular or rectifier that changes the output of the stator from AC volts to DC volts, the output of the rectifier has to go to the battery positive, to charge the battery.
See 8.10 in the service manual link above.
A voltmeter is the only way to test the stator and the rectifier output.