Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

19 horsepower Craftsman riding mower with Briggs engine

Customer Question

19 horsepower Craftsman riding mower with Briggs engine backfire sometimes when I turn it off. Not every time but often. The other day cutting on deep grass it started clattering and had heavy exhaust smoke then smoke subsided after I disengaged blades but doesn't sound right. Probably was overloaded but that usually will just kill engine. Engine acts like it has a loss of power.?????????
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just can't get any luck. Hear Husqvarna has a very good mower but I don't like the type you have to keep pedal pushed in for forward and reverse. I like the manual gear clutch type. Can't teach an old dog new tricks!!!!!!!!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 7 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. Can you check the oil and see if it's thin or smells like gas ? If it does do not try to run it . You have 2 symptoms of a carburetor issue where the carburetor doesn't stop the gas flow when the float is closed and it allows the gas to get in the crankcase and mix with the oil. The cause of this is the needle doesn't seal with the inlet valve.