Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 46' deck riding lawn mower. Every time I disengage

Customer Question

I have a 46' deck riding lawn mower. Every time I disengage the blade my belt would slip off so I got a new belt hoping that would fix the problem but it didn't. Is there any way I can tighten up the belt?
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 months ago.
Belt is tensioned by spring, is spring in place? And what pulley does it come off of? There has to be a belt guard, that will keep belt from coming off the pulley. it may be missing or bent to far from the pulley, allowing belt to slip out.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
All the belt guards are in place and in good shape
http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/1106099P-00008.png
Both 45 and 61's are close enough to the pulleys to not let belt out without moving them? See the above link. And the two springs are in place? Can you determine which pulley it is coming off of?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It's coming off the 2 middle pulleys and the very front one. It doesn't come off the pulleys that control the blade
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm not for sure about the springs I'm at work right now but I know for sure it's coming off those 3 pulleys. It's mostly coming off the front toward the engine
Front drive pulley at the engine end, has two bolts/rods that have t keep the belt on. One on each side of the pulley. Be sure they are almost touching the pulley.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Cause I can pull the belt off pretty easy on the front pulley and the blade pulley
You should not be able to remove either one without moving the belt guides! I think belt guides need adjustment.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How do I do that?
tap them to move them closer or loosen nut holding them and move them closer to the pulley.
Closer the better, as long as they do not touch the pulleys
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What about the front one. It's also really loose around the blade pulleys but they don't come off
#25 is the belt keeper for the front engine pulley. see link.
http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/1106099P-00003.png
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
And what if this doesn't solve the problem?
If the belts can be removed now, without effort, the guides are not close enough. I think it will take care of the problem.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok thank you
Thank you!If satisfied please accept and close so I get credit.