Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a John Deere LT155 that will not start. I turn the

Customer Question

I have a John Deere LT155 that will not start. I turn the key and the only thing that happens is that the lights come on. The battery measures 13.5 volts, I by passed the solenoid and the starter engages, I shorted the solenoid and it started, so I replaced the solenoid. Still no luck. I could not find a fuse, so when I went to the John Deere dealer ship to get the solenoid, I ask where the fuse would be located. I checked and said that there wasn't one.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello David. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. Your mower does have a fuse, but I feel that it is okay, due to your lights coming on. I am assuming you have a way to test for voltage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, Where would the fuse be.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you there?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Yes I am here.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I believe your fuse is okay, or your lights would not come on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what I thought, but would like to know here it is located for future use.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
No problem. It is located near your battery. It is in-line on a small red wire that either attaches to your battery, or your solenoid.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
That small red wire, powers your ignition switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Our problem likely lies somewhere along your start circuit.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, how do we find the problem.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Your solenoid have two large red cables attached to it. How many small wires are attached to it??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Is one of the wires purple?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there other one is blue
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Great! Remove the purple wire from your solenoid. Turn your ignition switch to on position. Check to see if you have voltage in this wire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no voltage
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Ok, let's check the blue one for voltage.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I apologize, check the purple wire for voltage, with your key in start position, with your parking brake on, and your pto off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There were actually three wires. The blue one is connected to the the post on the solenoid that is connect to the battery and it has voltage to it. the other wire is black and is connected to one od the small terminals and it does not have any voltage.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
The other wire should have continuity.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I am referring to the black wire.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Black = Continuity
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Purple = Voltage In Start Position
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The parking brake did not change anything, but when it push in the clutch, or what ever it is called, i get about 1/2 volt
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
continuity with what
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for checking. That should read above 12 volts. Let's try something else. Remove the connector from your ignition switch. Check your voltage reading on your red wire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is the pto. missed that originally
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
PTO is for engaging your blades ...
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
You may have either a lever, or a push/pull button to engage your blades.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you waiting on me for anything?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I am waiting while you check the voltage reading on the red wire in your ignition switch connector.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Need to tell me those things. I get 1 volt
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
No problem. Thank you for checking.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
The red wire should have voltage that is equal to your battery voltage.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I found a wiring schematic for your mower. I discovered that you have a Fuseable Link, in-line on your red wire. It could be bad.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
This could explains why you are not getting 12 volts at your ignition switch ( red wire ).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The volt meter goes to 1, like it is meassuring continuity
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I believe your Fuseable Link is at fault.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would it be between the battery and the switch?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
It is on a red wire between your solenoid and your ignition switch.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Have you double checked for loose connections?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok need to remove battery
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
One end of the small red wire bolts to your solenoid post, and the other end goes directly to your ignition switch.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
This is why this wire should always have voltage equal to your battery voltage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i do not see a fuse on this wire
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
There is not a fuse on your wire. There is a fuseable link instead.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
It has two small red wires coming from one end of it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the red wire connects to the blue wire and another read wire. i show continuity between the solenoid wire and the switch. This would not be the case if there was a blown fuse in this section.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Did you check continuity by probing your wire where it attaches to your solenoid, and where your wire enters your ignition switch connector?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry, lost my internet connection. How do I fix the fuseable link?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
No problem. You can go to your local John Deere dealer to get a replacement.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
You can splice in the new one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the continuity between the end of the blue wire that connects to the solenoid and the switch and it shows good. Is there anything else that could be wrong?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, would not the switch be operationally in order for my to start the engine by shorting the solenoid?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Your switch does not play a role in that procedure. The only other thing I can think of is a loose or dirty connection. How many volts are you getting on your blue wire, if you prove it where it attaches to your solenoid.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
One large post on your solenoid should have voltage at all time. Is your blue wire attached to this post?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Checked continuity from solenoid. Is the fuseable link where the two read and one blue wire comes together? It just looks like a splice. Or is it some place else. It just looks like a splice.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
That's it. It will look like a splice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it was connected to the hot lead on the solenoid
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, I am going to had to go to work now, so won't be able to get link until tomorrow to see if that works. thanks
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome! We can continue tomorrow.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
This is a follow for you for tomorrow. Double check your fuseable link, just to make sure it is at fault, before replacing it. To correctly check it for continuity, your must remove your Blue wire from your solenoid post, due to that post having voltage from your battery at all times. Your Blue wire, must be e-attached to the hot side of your solenoid, after you are finished testing your Fuseable Link.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Keep in mind that if your fuseable link is ok, and you are getting 12 plus volts at your solenoid (Blue wire), you must get 12 volts at the Red wire on your ignition switch. The readings have to match. If not, then our problem lies somewhere along that wire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Donald, I have replaced the fusible link and also had the battery tested. The battery had a bad cell, even though it was showing over 12 volts, so replaced it also. I have 12.87 volts at the ignition switch, but still nothing when I try to start. Also, replaced the ignition switch and by passed the seat switch. Still nothing.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello David. Thank you for the update. Remove the jumper wire from your seat switch, and re-attach your connector. Now that you have a tester, check for voltage on the Purple Wire that attaches to your solenoid. During this test, make sure you have brake down and locked, and someone needs to be on your seat.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the seat switch is connected and the brake depressed, the voltage on the purple wire, which is now gray, is 12.87 volts. Also checked the voltage at the ignition switch and it was also 12.87 volts.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Did you change the purple, to a gray wire?