Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., Technician
Experience:  15+ years of experience and a business owner.
8380480

I have rear engine snapper. I have put a new battery on spark

Customer Question

I have rear engine snapper. I have put a new battery on spark plugs and check the fuel line. When do I turn the key all I get is a whining sound. What am I to do to get it started?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 7 months ago.
Hi,When you say you get a whining sound. That sounds to me like the starter is spinning but not engaging the flywheel.If that's correct then you can use a screw driver to pry up lightly on the bendix to see if you can get it unstuck. It's pretty common for them to stick in the down position because the parts are plastic and extremely cheaply made compared to what they used to be made of 10 years ago.It's pretty likely that will get you going but you will probably experience this again and eventually you'll have to replace the starter and bendix to fix it until it wears out again.