Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

J.R. I have a tiller with 8 hp briggs horizontil with gravity

Customer Question

Hi J.R. I have a tiller with 8 hp briggs horizontil with gravity feed updraft carb. mice ate wires so i converted it to pointless ign. float needle stuck and carb was in rough shape so installed a new one. starts fine then after about 30 seconds rpm increases then it dies. i set both needle valves to 2 1/2 turns. I'm bewildered it will restart then repeats symptoms. Thanks for any help, ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Thats about it, i have tried adjusting needle valves but no change,
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 months ago.
Go back and check the fuel line at the carburetor and the needle valve passage from the fule line. I think the fuel is restricted, and the flow into the bowl is not enough for engine to continue.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I wI will check again, I did replace the fuel line when I replaced carb.
One small piece of debris in the needle valve passage is all it takes!