Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My Husqvarna zero turn mower stalled while mowing and now it

Customer Question

my Husqvarna zero turn mower stalled while mowing and now it wont do anything when I turn the key. If I pull up on the pto switch, a click will sound and I will see the hours. If I push the pto switch off, I get no electricity to start engine.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Anything else I can tell the Small Engine Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: no thank you.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Check the seat switch, and the two arm switches, to be sure they are making contact. One of the safety switches is not completing the start circuit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a pto safety contact switch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why would these switches go bad when the mower stalled after hitting a pile of dirt?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Switch will not be bad, but can be stuck. And there is no pto safety switch, other than the actual pto engagement switch. Be sure pto switch is off as it would keep engine from starting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried starting it after 1 day and it started, but when I pulled up on the pto switch, the mower stalled like it shut off the motor. Is something in the pto switch that would cause that to happen?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
It can kill engine, but be sure the blades turn free , check with engine off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The blades do turn freely.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
The mower kills because when it thinks there is no one in the seat when pto is turned on. The run circuit is not complete!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I'll go check it.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK>
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the PTO switch, brake and seat switches and checked for continuity on the two forward and reverse handles and still have no power when I turn the key. The battery has 12 Volts. If I pull up the PTO switch I, my hour meter comes on. What else could it be?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On Sunday, the mower would start, but would shut off when I released the brake. Today it doesn't do anything.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Locate the switch wire at the starter solenoid and see if there is voltage to the wire, when you turn the key to start. If there is ,the starter solenoid would be bad.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Does battery voltage change when you turn the key to start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the starter solenoid. Still nothing happens when I turn the key. I did notice that it does start when I jump the starter solenoid with a screw driver.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
You didn't check for the voltage from the key switch before replacing the solenoid. Locate the switch wire, at the solenoid, then check the same color wire at the key switch for voltage when key is turned to start! If no voltage, the safety switch circuit may not be completing the ground circuit for start. Owners manual should have wiring schematic for the keyswitch. find the two terminals that the safety circuit has to complete, and use a jumper wire to make a test ground, and see if unit will start with key.