Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Snapper 17 hp rear motor riding mower. Engine

Customer Question

My name is Bill. Snapper 17 hp rear motor riding mower. Engine cranks and runs strong, when releasing brake/clutch, engine starts spitting and sputters. It in one occasion cleared up, started cutting, all worked fine until getting into heavy grass, then it goes back to spuddrring and spitting
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Engine spits and stalls ypon releasing clutch, , depress xlutch wngine returns to running normal
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 months ago.
Briggs engine? Single cylinder? Is the battery voltage staying above 12 volts, when the blades are running? Does the carburetor have an electric solenoid in the base of the carburetor? If this solenoid drops , it will starve engine for fuel. It has to have 12 volts to keep retracted.
After rereading the question, with engine dieing down when you engage the clutch, loosen the carburetor float bowl and see if it has water or debris in it. Here is carburetor link.
http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_walbro_lmt_carb.asp
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Techumpsie 17 hp
Same thing applies, carburetor will just be a little different. Is this gravity flow from tank.or does engine have fuel pump?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Gravity
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When I unplug bowl solonoid will there be a nut there to remove bowl
The solenoid will be the bowl bolt! It is holding the bowl on.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, so you think the bowl needs ro be cleaned, anything else. I was thinking it had something to do with clutch cable going to solonoid
clutch cable to solenoid? Explain.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have a dead battery, always oull start, the magneto should provide the 12 volts necessary for the solonoid to stay open correct
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Pull
NO> magnetor is for spark only. The battery charging coil is under the flywheel! Solenoid could be removed and replaced with bowl bolt!
Take jumper cables and hook to unit, and see it if still stalls.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok
OK> Getting late here, you want to continue tomorrow?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes
Good night!