Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a john deere 757 zero turn. starts fine, runs fine.

Customer Question

i have a john deere 757 zero turn. starts fine, runs fine. when I engage the mower the engine stalls and dies or it mows with very little power. the throttle must be full throttle to get it to engage. is this a sign of a bad clutch?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Anything else I can tell the Small Engine Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: it mowed fine the first time out this year. the second time, I had a problem.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 months ago.
Not a bad clutch!
Does the deck pulleys and blades turn freely if you check with engine OFF?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
yes.
OK< this is Kawasaki twin engine, Have you ran a cylinder balance test? Loosen the spark plug wires, and with engine idling, remove one wire at a time, if engine dies when one is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing. These engines run good on one cylinder, just no power! If it is running on one cylinder, check for spark on the dead cylinder. The coil is common failure on Kawasaki.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I changed the spark plugs and did the test yesterday. the engine does die when one side is pulled off. so I replaced the engine coil today and still have the same problem. it still dies when I pull the coil off.
If you have good spark, do you have good compression? Have you checked the valves on that cylinder? You did change the coil on the cylinder opposite the wire that is removed and engine dies?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did change the coil opposite side. I did not check if I had a good spark and how do I check for compression?
Compression gage is best, ***** ***** can do a quick test by holding finger with rag over the spark plug hole while cranking. It should enough compression to move your finger. If compression is ok, check the valve clearance. Needs to be .006 inch.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
how do I check the valve clearance?
Here is basic adjustment. There are utube videos if you need them,
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok if I have compression and I check the gap, what if it still does not work? could there be a short in the wire that connects to the coil?
First we need to know if the coil is sparking! The small wire to the coil is the kill wire, if you have no spark, remove the kill wire and test again.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will go check if I have a spark.
OK>
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How exactly do I check for spark?
Take a spare spark plug, remove the spark plug wire, attach it to the spare spark plug, and with the spark plug metal base grounded to the metal of the engine, crank and look for spark at the plug tip.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have spark.
OK! That's a plus, And that was on the dead cylinder side?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes
OK< need to do the compression test and then check the valves.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I also have compression.
!!OK< You can check valves tomorrow or when you have time. Getting late here. There will be link in your email to return.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. Thanks.
Goodnight.