Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a toro riding mower that i cannot get to start. I have

Customer Question

I have a toro riding mower that i cannot get to start. I have put in a new battery solenoid and starter and it still will not start. Before i replaced the battery the solenoid would click but now that i have put the new battery in it will not do anything. Also when i check voltage at the battery when it is hooked to the mower it is erratic and will not stay at 12 volts. It will drop from 12 to 7 to nothing it seems.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Check the battery connections and the negative cable to the frame, and the posiitve cable to the starter solenoid. Also be sure the ignition fuse is tight in the fuse holder. Also remove the spark plug and see if engine spins.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have replaced the positive cable from the battery to the solenoid and i just replaced the ground cable from battery to the frame. The ignition fuse is in place and is good. I can spin the engine from the top with the plug removed.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
If you go direct to the starter solenoid, and jump across the two cable terminals, does engine spin.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When i jump the solenoid nothing happens i have even tried going directly to the starter and jumping it there and it still will not spin.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
If you have 12 volts to the solenoid, and get nothing when you jump the solenoid, the starter is bad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just replaced the starter with a new one.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
You are not getting voltage to the starter then. Take jumper cables direct from battery to the frame and to the starter terminal and see if starter spins. You sure battery voltage is good? New battery may not have charge in it. ???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jumped the starter directly and nothing. Battery has 12.7 volts. I noticed when everything was hooked up normally the ground wire was gettimg hot.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
The starter is bad! I would replace the starter! Everything points to a bad starter. You say you can turn engine by hand, so starter is not hung in flywheel , and jumping starter direct does nothing. So starter has to be bad.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
You have the old starter you removed? test it off the engine, to see if it will spin. Pull new starter and test same way!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Battery is hooked up right? red to the posiitve terminal? Black to ground.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
When you jumped starter, did you use the mower battery or another battery? Try another battery!