Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I'm ***** *****. I have a Toro Recycler that won't star

Customer Question

Hi, I'm ***** *****. I have a Toro Recycler that won't start. Specifically, the cord won't pull more than a couple inches. I've checked the gas and oil, ensured that the bottom was free of debris, checked that the hand lever was moving the lever connected to the engine, tried to spin the blade by hand while holding the lever (unsuccessfully), and taken the starter off to ensure that it spins when the cord is pulled and it does. What am I missing?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I got the mower when I bought the house, which was just a few days ago. It worked at first, but I was trying to cut very long grass. It's also possible that I dumped out too much oil when I was trying to use it. However, I've put new oil in it and it should be at about the right level
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.
Did you remove the spark plug and see if engine spins?
You may have oil on top of piston, locking the engine. Spin engine with spark plug removed to clear the cylinder. May need to us some carburetor in the cylinder to get all the oil out. Then install new plug or clean spark plug, and see if it will start/
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm unable to spin the blade, even when I press down on the hand lever that I believe is required to be pressed for the blade to spin.It should also be noted that when I was last using the mower, it didn't turn itself off but failed to turn back on when I turned it off.
Try it with the spark plug removed. If it then does not turn, engine may be seized! Was engine run low on oil??