Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

Was running tiller with an 8.0 HP HM80 Tecumseh engine. It

Customer Question

Was running tiller with an 8.0 HP HM80 Tecumseh engine. It was running smoothly then suddenly slowed down and puffed large amounts of white smoke out the exhaust followed by blowing oil out the exhaust. I thought it came apart on the inside. Cranked it up, the smoke cleared after 15 secs, with no unusual noise, so I resumed under full power with no smoke. This repeated 3 times and each time it cleared up. Fuel, oil, air filter and spark plug are all new.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. Check the oil to see if there is a gas smell or if the oil is thin , if it's either of those do not try to restart it
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Viscosity seems normal, no gas smell but lots of very minute particles.
Don't try to run it , those particles will destroy the cylinder , something is Coming apart . If it had non detergent oil used before and then you put new oil with detergents it may have tore the rings up
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No idea what kind of oil was in it previously. I put in SAE 30 per mfr recommendations.
Yeah , it could of been a non detergent oil . Either way if your seeing particles it's most likely the rings ......