Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have a 5500 onan generator that shuts off after running for

Customer Question

I have a 5500 onan generator that shuts off after running for a minute or two. Change plugs, oil, gas and air filter. Checked gas pump, full flow when hose disconnect pushing start button. Sprayed trottle cleaner thru housing. Runs smooth when on but has an erupt shut off. Please help.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 8 months ago.
You didn't say what model this is. It helps to know what you are working on. I would assume this genset is in the HGJ family. If so, there are many things that can shut this unit down like that. What fault code are you getting?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Onan 5500 model on a 2000 Southwind Storm RV. It has not been started in three months but ran good three months ago
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did not have a fault code reader nor did my unit display codes
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Did I miss the answer, or was many things can shut the unit down was the answer?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How do I add to cost for answer? Nothing leads me to cost increase
Expert:  Hank F. replied 7 months ago.
If you wish to increase your offer, there should be a link in the email you received.I believe there is also a link somewhere on your page. 550 is not a model number, it is a wattage rating.I need the actual model number. You do not need a code scanner to retrieve the codes.Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will startflashing.If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediatelyrelease 'Stop' one more time.This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for(X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.This will be the Fault Code.Example: 2 rapid flashes, 1second pause, 5 rapid flashes is a Fault Code 25.There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the lightvery carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all inorder, and then start over again. Be very careful not to misread a first level fault code (singledigit code) as a second level fault code (double digit code).The way to tell the difference is by the length of the pauses.There is a 1 second pausebetween digits of a second level code, and a 3 second pause between codes.For example, if it is flashing 2 times, 1 second pause, flashing 2times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a second level fault code of22.If it is flashing 2 times, 3 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3second pause and repeating, then this is a first level fault code of 2. What Fault Code are you getting?.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I must have a older model, no light on switch for codes