Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

Onan 5500 Marquis gold JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell

Customer Question

Onan 5500 Marquis gold
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: code 13, I have changed carburetor, oil, filter, fuel filters, new fuel line, spark plugs. Starts right up, runs approximately 10 seconds then shuts off and gives code 13. under voltage (controller unable to maintain rated voltage) I tried checking voltage going to choke on carb while running in that 10 second window. no voltage at all there. was told it could be voltage regulator. where is that located? and or what do you think?
JA: Anything else I can tell the Small Engine Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: Thanks Dave
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 8 months ago.
You didn't say what model it was, but I am assuming it is in the HGJ family. If so, the voltage regulator is integral to the controller.It is possible the controller is bad, but it could also be bad brushes, or a damaged rotor or stator.