Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Have an 18 Kohler Magnum m18 went to change oil and it's

Customer Question

Have an 18 Kohler Magnum m18 went to change oil and it's like glue comes out stringy sor of stretches like rubber. Is this something someone out in here to make it run quiet or something. I've never seen oil like this before
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Other words what would make oil coagulate
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It will string all the way to catch pan
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 months ago.
When was oil last changed? It sounds like it has STP or a similar oil additive.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Curtis this oil can be spooned out. It's almost like melted rubber. There is no way to filter it
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Doesn't get to pouring point even if heated
It could have sugar added , do you have any enemies? That would sabotage the engine?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just bought this mower
Drain what you can and then then use some diesel or kerosene to flush it, Run it for a minute and then drain it again. You may find it was there to cover up a knock in the engine!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Never seen anything like it, I need a recipe
No telling without having a test ran on it. all you can do is flush the oil system and start over.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was afraid to flush, just changed filter and refilled, it's gotta go somewhere else. Sounds just like it did before, seems to crank easier
Try draining it again when it is hot!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This just shows me these magnums are tough as nails
yes, they are good old engines!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It has 1595 hrs on it and I don't think oil was ever changed, just added to. Blackest oil I've ever seen
I saw a diesel many years ago, that the il could not be drained it was so thick, The oil pan had to be removed!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Curtis I think I found why the oil was cooked, I pulled the right head off and the intake valve had a split in it and was putting a lot of heat back into the engine so I replaced the valve now it runs much better, however I need to know how to adjust this carb to get more throttle as it is running on less than half and is sort of slow pulling. It's not like the other engines I have adjusted. I have included a pic of the linkage set up
http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/tp_2204_b.pdf
See the manual link above. Look at fuel and governor.
Try moving the throttle cable outer housing under the clamp in you picture. You want it to pull further.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes I did that and the throttle was too high on idle pulls the throttle open. But at full throttle this thing is less than half open when running, maybe even 3/8 open but when off it is fully open. It uses the spring to pull gov arm and the book says when set in idle it should be a little LAX or even pushing it closed
Throttle will not fully open until it has a load and the governor has to open it!