Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

My Troy Bilt push mower has a Briggs and Stratton 6 1/2 hp.

Customer Question

My Troy Bilt push mower has a Briggs and Stratton 6 1/2 hp. It got put in storage with gas in the tank. Now you can start it but it dies very quickly.
JA: I'll do all I can to help, Troy Bilt push mower has a Briggs and Stratton 6 1/2 hp. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Can only start engine if you take the spark plug out and put a little gas in, then it will start but will not keep running.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Small Engine Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: It did stay in storage 2-3 years with gas left in the mower.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 6 months ago.
Hello, depending on how gummed up the carb may be will determine if you need to remove the carb or not. First pull the hose off and drain the tank. Then loosen the brass bolt on the bottom of the carb bowl. After the carb is drained remove the bolt, that is the main jet. If it is green that is gum deposits and needs to be cleaned off. Use a wire (bared bread twister) and poke it down the center and through the sides too unplug it. Reassemble and test. Add fresh fuel