Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Briggs model 331877 type 1371 b1 when turning the engine over,

Customer Question

briggs model 331877 type 1371 b1 when turning the engine over, it stops at top dead center like there's something in the cylinder. If i put a big enough battery on it (like goosting it with my diesel pickup), it will turn over and run fine
JA: I'll do all I can to help, Briggs. Anything else I can tell the Small Engine Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: i adjusted the valves to specs already. tractor is about 4 years old
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Check the compression on the engine, if over 100 psi, the compression release is not working. It is part of the camshaft mechanism, and if broken, the camshaft has to be replaced!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Briggs-Stratton-OEM-793880-Camshaft-793583-792681-791942-795102-/121915507319?hash=item1c62bb0277:g:nPsAAOxy63FSsjxU
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
See the mechanism in the above link.