Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a 2004 John Deere L120 and the deck won't

Customer Question

***** *****, I have a 2004 John Deere L120 and the deck won't engage It wouldn't engage at times and I would have to PTO switch off and on a couple of times and it would start working. The other day was mowing and the deck just stopped I replaced the switch but it still won't engage
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: With the switch on mower won't start
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.
Nower has a RIO switch , reverse switch that kills the pto when you back up. If the rio switch sticks open, pto will not engage. ??? If rio switch is not problem, check the pto clutch harness for damage, and use a set of jumper wires , direct from the battery to the two pto clutch wires, to see if the magnet will engage, Tractor off, and key does not even have to be on for test. If magnet will not engage, the clutch has failed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
One more thing I wanted to add. I have to push the reverse switch to back up with or without the PTO switch being on I normally only have to push it to back up if blades are running
Have you checked the reverse switch? It's not stuck open? Time to test the clutch magnet.