Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a with a Briggs and Stratton 28hp engine. After

Customer Question

I have a scag with a Briggs and Stratton 28hp engine. After I mowed the lawn I noticed oil leaking from starter. Looks like it's coming near where starter bolts to engine. Could this be some type of seal easy to fix, or something major?
JA: I'll do all I can to help, Briggs. Anything else I can tell the Small Engine Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: I also had just sharpened blades before this happened by jacking front end of mower up with back tires on ground. I let it set before starting engine to allow oil to get level.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 months ago.
What is the engine model number? Starter would be no where any oil is. Oil would have to come from rocker cover or oil seal under the flywheel. Or from the vent tube on the crankcase. It could have just been caused by engine not being level and now has quit leaking, but now showing up.??
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Looks like the leak is behind starter, possible coming from upper side of engine. Serial number on engine is 10 0323 YG 55795. It's a BS Perfessional Series 28HP. 810cc.
Do you think when I raised front to sharpen blades, oil went maybe where this vent tube is, and now is just blowing out. I can keep an eye on oil as I mow. Just want to make sure it's something major. Should I pull top off and check near flywheel to see if it's the seal?
This is vertical engine, so the breather and vent tube are on the top, under the flywheel. I think this is likley source of the oil.
https://www.partstree.com/parts/briggs-and-stratton/engines-vertical-engine-with-electric-starter/49t877-0004-g1-briggs-stratton-engine-electric-starter/cylinder-crankshaft-camshaft-air-guides/
See # ***** in the above link.