Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

There. I have Kohler 26hp v-twin :courage" engine on a

Customer Question

Hi there. I have Kohler 26hp v-twin :courage" engine on a Sears GT500 tractor. Well, lawnmower.
JA: Excuse me?
Customer: I am getting fuel to the carb, but no spark.
JA: I'll do all I can to help, Kohler. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Sorry. I HAVE a Kohler 26hp, v-twin engine on a sears gt500 lawnmower. It won't start. New battery, new plugs. Fresh gasoline. Getting fuel to the carb, but no spark from either plug. I replace both ignition coils within the past 3 years. It was running fine alst weekend, then coughed a few times and died. I thought I had run out of gas, but since then, nothing.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Small Engine Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: thats about it
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 months ago.
Seems odd that both coils would loose spark? Do you have an oil guard system on the mower that would kill spark if the switch closed for low oil pressure?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
not that i know of
See if on the engine it says OIL Guard system. If it has it, it has oil sender that will kill engine.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
okay. I can't find anything on the engine that says Oil Guard. I can find the areas where it like would say that, and there's nothing there
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
none of the wiring looks melted or anything like that either. i also checked the gap on the coils (don't know how it would have gotten messed up from running fine one minute to no running the next, and that looks solid.
Is there an oil sender next to the oil filter? Unplug it and check for spark.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
what else might kill spark? possibly one of the safety switches?? but remember, it didn't die all at once, it coughed and sounded weird and then died. i thought i had run it out of gas, but like i said, after putting plenty of gas in it, now i got buppkus
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
just saw the note about the oil sender. i don't think there is one, but elt me look around the filter and see whats there
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
shoot. just had something more critical come up. i will have to get back to this whenever can. sorry!
OK!!!
.
Just checking back!