Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

It's a month old walk behind. Rear wheel drive. The left

Customer Question

It's a month old walk behind. Rear wheel drive.
The left rear wheel constantly locks up. Usually when going forward whether the transmission is engaged or if I'm doing the pushing. I have to pick up the rear end of the mower for a few feet, set it back down, and that normally gets the wheel rolling again.
The right rear wheel is fine.
I have toyed with the drive control cable, maxing out on loosening or tightening it doesn't matter or any position in between.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 6 months ago.
Hello, could be a faulty drive gear. What make and model?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well, after I submitted the question, I decided to finish mowing the yard (frustrating experience) and then disassemble the wheel.The second I pulled the wheel off, a toothed gear fell onto the driveway. It is mounted to the axle simply by tension, it seems, and a series of small grooves that are designed to interlock I suppose. I took a dead blow hammer and tapped it back onto the axle snugly. There is a plastic circular sheath, almost the diameter of the wheel, that was really chewed up. It seems clear to me that it was being torn up by this gear being mashed around after it had come off the axle. I don't know how it got loose, and I don't know that my hammering "fixed" that problem.I did take several laps around the yard with the self-propel engaged and disengaged and it is working fine now.I see how this is SUPPOSED to work, and I'm totally satisfied with it now. My concern is that it eventually works itself loose again if I didn't hammer it in enough.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 6 months ago.
Is there a groove at the end of the shaft? They were usually held on with an E-ring or snap ring