Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a honda harmony 1011 riding lawn mower. The starter

Customer Question

Hi I have a honda harmony 1011 riding lawn mower. The starter works only intermittently. Not enough to start the engine. I have tested spark with a new plug and jumping the solenoid There is no spark.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have ran the starter by connecting the 2 contacts on the solenoid to bypass the (I think faulty) solenoid. I still don't get a spark. Could this be the ignition switch itself?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 months ago.
https://www.partstree.com/parts/honda/mowers-rear-engine-riding-lawn-mower/h1011-sac-honda-riding-mower-made-in-usa-sn-mzaw-6000001/wire-harness/
Do you have good fuse in the circuit? # ***** in the above pats picture link.
Do you have a voltmeter to see if you have full 12 volts to the starter solenoid and to the key switch?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes. Fuse is good. 12+ volts to 2 connections on key switch connector (ignition switch is removed).
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Same 12+ volts to solenoid post from battery
Ok, do you get any voltage to the start terminal on the starter solenoid when key is turned to start?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No voltage on other post with key turned. However, I occasionally get a second or 2 of cranking then it stops working again.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I know when I put 12 volts to the second post on the solenoid (12 volts to starter) the starter works
If you jump the battery terminal to the single switch terminal of the solenoid, will it spin engine?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes
So solenoid is good. So either a safety switch, key switch, or relay is bad. I see a 40 amp relay in the wire harness, See if the wires to it, match the wires from keyswitch and starter solenoid. Relay may not be sending voltage to the solenoid for start.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok, I just closed the circuit for the seat ( must sit in it to start) using alligator clips. It almost started now won't turn the starter. I got 4 seconds or so of cranking and I believe spark as well
Battery low or bad?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I know it's not fully charged but I had the same problem before when it was fully charged. I will charge now and get back with you tomorrow .
OK> How old is battery? Maybe need to have it tested!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's new. I have a smart charger. Battery is good. Will have full 12.7+ volts tomorrow. I'm pretty positive that isn't it.
Fully charged should be over 13 volts!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Either way. It will be good tomorrow
OK>
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hey, I'm back. Can you tell me which posts to connect to simulate the key turning so I can eliminate the ignition switch as the issue
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 months ago.
On the solenoid will be the battery cable and a small single wire terminal. These two energize the starter!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Neutral safety lock out. Thanks for the help
Thank you! please accept to close the question.