Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a honda harmony 1011 riding lawn mower. The starter

Customer Question

Hi I have a honda harmony 1011 riding lawn mower. The starter works only intermittently. Not enough to start the engine. I have tested spark with a new plug and jumping the solenoid There is no spark.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have ran the starter by connecting the 2 contacts on the solenoid to bypass the (I think faulty) solenoid. I still don't get a spark. Could this be the ignition switch itself?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
https://www.partstree.com/parts/honda/mowers-rear-engine-riding-lawn-mower/h1011-sac-honda-riding-mower-made-in-usa-sn-mzaw-6000001/wire-harness/
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have good fuse in the circuit? # ***** in the above pats picture link.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a voltmeter to see if you have full 12 volts to the starter solenoid and to the key switch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Fuse is good. 12+ volts to 2 connections on key switch connector (ignition switch is removed).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same 12+ volts to solenoid post from battery
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, do you get any voltage to the start terminal on the starter solenoid when key is turned to start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No voltage on other post with key turned. However, I occasionally get a second or 2 of cranking then it stops working again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know when I put 12 volts to the second post on the solenoid (12 volts to starter) the starter works
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
If you jump the battery terminal to the single switch terminal of the solenoid, will it spin engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
So solenoid is good. So either a safety switch, key switch, or relay is bad. I see a 40 amp relay in the wire harness, See if the wires to it, match the wires from keyswitch and starter solenoid. Relay may not be sending voltage to the solenoid for start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I just closed the circuit for the seat ( must sit in it to start) using alligator clips. It almost started now won't turn the starter. I got 4 seconds or so of cranking and I believe spark as well
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Battery low or bad?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know it's not fully charged but I had the same problem before when it was fully charged. I will charge now and get back with you tomorrow .
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK> How old is battery? Maybe need to have it tested!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's new. I have a smart charger. Battery is good. Will have full 12.7+ volts tomorrow. I'm pretty positive that isn't it.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Fully charged should be over 13 volts!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Either way. It will be good tomorrow
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK>
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey, I'm back. Can you tell me which posts to connect to simulate the key turning so I can eliminate the ignition switch as the issue
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
On the solenoid will be the battery cable and a small single wire terminal. These two energize the starter!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Neutral safety lock out. Thanks for the help
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! please accept to close the question.