Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I just installed a new drive belt on my JD120 Automatic. It

Customer Question

I just installed a new drive belt on my JD120 Automatic. It started ok but stalls as soon as I release the parking brake. It was running fine before but the belt was cracked and stretched.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Check the Wiring at the electric clutch under the engine , it would have been loose if you replaced the drive belt.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pulled the clip off to make sure the clip was plugged in completely and one of the black wires came out. there is one black and one yellow wire left in the harness. Does the black that just fell out go with the black or yellow?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Black to black.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That harness was the first thing I checked after this problem started. Just put the wire back in and it stalled again. Rechecked the clip @the back end too. Its solid there.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Seat switch and brake switch, and pto switch all complete the run circuit. Did you have tractor tipped on side for belt replacement? Check the seat switch and harness, then the brake switch and harness, Do you have continuity between the switches? The tractor thinks there is no one in the seat, so it kills engine when brake is released.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The seat switch was disabled when i bought the tractor and it all ran fine. All wires look good. Tractor was on all 4 wheels when I did the work. I see JD calls for an 88 1/2" belt. Had mine measured @ Tractor Supply and they gave me an 88". That 1/2" make a difference? Went on fine.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Will not be belt problem, will be safety switch. Take a double check of the bypass at the seat switch!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I got it, it was unhooked and tucked under the seat springs. Ran just fine way it is. Have not moved the wires. There are 2 wires and 4 posts, can hook them up and try. Not sure which posts to put them on.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Just tye the two wires together and see if it works.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Found a third wire in the plastic wire protector. Stripped them all down and tied them together. Same result.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK,with all wires off before, I wonder if the safety circuit has been bypassed completely. Did you hook up any loose wires when you were working with belt? The safety circuit is supposed to complete the ground circuit, and this grounds the starter solenoid, through the key switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only wires I touched was the wiring harness I unclipped to the PTO to take the belt off. Everything was good before that. Put it back on and checked all connections. I think they bypassed the seat switch by unplugging 2 wires and cutting one. Not sure how that would work but it ran fine.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
The run circuit is not complete, and the only way to find problem is to test continuity between the switches! Brake switch to pto switch , as seat is compromised,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.