Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Cub Cadet LT1045. It had stopped turning over

Customer Question

I have a Cub Cadet LT1045. It had stopped turning over (cranking)last summer. So, now I put in a new Switch and Solenoid but still the mower does not crank. I banged the Starter a few times but still nothing. Lights come on since there is a new battery also. There is not a whole lot to the mower so what do you think is wrong
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 months ago.
What is the full model number? What engine do you have? Do you have a voltmeter to test with? What is voltage at the starter solenoid?
Kohler SV600 model?
Follow the positive battery cable to the starter solenoid, and jump across the two large terminals. Use old screwdriver, as there will be sparks. Engine should spin.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Cub Cadet LT 1045 MODEL@ 621-879 Numbers beneath that say 12BP11GH756
OK< did you do the solenoid test?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok. When I jump the 2 terminals on solenoid, it heats up and started burning the green wire. Honestly, when i disconnected the solenoid, I forgot where the green wire was hooked to. Dumb move. When I did use the screwdriver, the green wire got hot enough where I could not touch it. Only had it on fir 2 seconds. The left red terminal goes to the positive on the battery. The engine did start to turn but I stopped after 2 seconds because of the above
Green wire should go on the terminal with the battery cable. Not on the starter side.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Positive or negative side of battery
I see no use for the green wire.?? Looks to go from battery posiitve to battery posiitve. Where did it com from? Has it been added?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If you look.at the one pic, the green wire goes down into a harness. Have no idea what olit is for but it hooked to something. On the solenoid, is the battery cable supposed to be where i have it
Battery cable goes to the side opposite the starter cable, and it also will have a smaller wire that powers the key switch on the same battery terminal.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry. The left red cable is going to the positive on the battery. The right cable is going to the starter. Are they attached correctly or do I switch them also, what about the green wire. It has to go somewhere. Thanjs
It does not matter which terminal the cable is on the solenoid , the solenoid only connects the two terminals when it closes. Was green wire on the battery before? And to solenoid?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I forget. I removed the green wire from solenoid
But it stayed on the battery , posiitve side?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Going to rehook green to bsttery positive side and try screw driver again. Ok
Be sure it is on the battery cabke side of the solenoid.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Still nothing. The starter does not turn. However, with a full 12 v charge, the starter winds up good. But I naturally did not start it since my foot was under the deck. lol. But, as soon as the charge went down to 10v, nothing and I did not want to burn the solenoid. So Curtis, since with a full charge crossing the solenoid and the starter cranks would that not indicate that the starter was ok If not, should I test it and how. Thanks for your patience. Not like this is a high tech space ship or anything and it is frustrating.
Your battery should stay up! If already down to 10 volts,?? I think starter is good, if engine spun well. Did you say the fuse for ignition was good and you have 12 volts to the key switch? How old is this battery?