Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

4235 zero turn mower started fine this spring. rode machine

Customer Question

4235 zero turn mower started fine this spring. rode machine over to garage, changed oil, cleaned air filter, and again sat on mower to move to parking spot. Mower brakes keep locking up will only move when manually turning brake actuator off and leaving key off. When key is actuated brakes will again lock up. I did have to charge the battery up to get it started for the first time this spring. Would a bad battery cause this problem? The mower seems to start fine just will not move due to brakes locking up
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 months ago.
With the electric actuator for the brake, battery voltage is very important. Is battery good enough to start the mower? It should be good enough to work the actuator. Check voltage to the actuator, and if it has battery voltage the actuator may be going bad.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I just tried the mower again after charging the battery all night. It still locks up but I have noticed that there may be a bad connection in the key swith as sometimes the brakes will engage and other times it will not after I play with the switch. I will now remove the switch and clean & tighten all the connections. I'll let you know mmy results when I am done.
OK>