Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

1967 sears garden tractor ran two days with battery polarity

Customer Question

1967 sears garden tractor ran two days with battery polarity reversed, then quit. Will still turn over but won't start. What parts were most likely damaged?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Inadvertently hooked positive caple to negative post and vice-versa. Started and ran normally for two days then abruptly died. Would turn over but not start. I then noticed the cables were reversed, and changed to correct polarity. Will still turn over but won't start.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Small Engine Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: Its getting gas.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

What engine do you have? Do you have spark if you remove spark plug and ground it when cranking? If no spark, You may have ruined the coil if it had polarity reversed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Haven't tried that. Can't until tomorrow. Tractor generally started easily. I figured it had to be spark or gas, and it was getting gas. It is a Tecumseh 12hp. Model 120 I believe with solid state ignition. I have a year older model that I might be able to use parts off of. I wasn't sure which parts were most likely damaged.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The solid state ignition is most likely no longer creating the spark! It does not tolerate reverse polarity. That would be my thought as to what is not working, giving you the no start.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. That's all for now.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK> Thank.