Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a Huskee 26hp mower. Two things, I knew the solenoid

Customer Question

Hi. I have a Huskee 26hp mower. Two things, I knew the solenoid was going bad because it would click a few times before starting. For awhile I could tap the back of the mower and it would start. I knew that was the case. Anyhow I was about to mow and the pto would not work and a minute later,while running fine , the mower cut off completly and I have No power at all. Is there a fuse that may have blown and if so I cant find it. Btw I have just replaced the solenoid and still nothing. Thank you for you help
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Thats about all I know..
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. It is very likely that your fuse is actually blown. If you can get the model numbers from under your seat, I can pull up a diagram, to show the location of your fuse.

Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

Is your solenoid at the front or rear of your mower?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for responding. The solenoid is in the back under the seat along with the battery. Model number is ***** number is *****
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

I am with you now. Thanks for waiting.

Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

Your fuse is located at the rear of your mower, behind your battery.

Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

Remove your battery and your battery holder, then look through the opening, toward the rear of your mower.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ill look
Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I dont see it right off. Is it in the plastic covering that covers the wiring harness?
Like i said I replaced the Solenoid
Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

Check for a small red wire that attaches to either your battery, or your solenoid. This small red wire should have your fuse in-line.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The small red wire is attached with the positive battery cable but i see no fuse. i peeled back some of the plastic casing but I still see no fuse.
Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

I tried to locate a wiring diagram for your mower, but I was unsuccessful. The small red wire usually has an in-line fuse. Check for a red wire coming from your ignition switch wiring connector. Let's see if your fuse is on this end of your red wire. This is the wire that powers your ignition switch.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thats what i would think. I was just looking at that. i may have to remove the gas tank. Hopefully not.
Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

Let's hope not.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ill have to. I cant get to it otherwise. Strange things.
Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

Take your time. I will be here.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

You are very welcome...

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I still do not see a fuse..
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i found the fuse.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Im gonna replace it of course and see what happens.
Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

BINGO!!

Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

Was it behind your fuel tank?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No sir. This may help in the future to someone. Its actually on the side wall where the side engine wall mounts .
Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

Absolutely helpful. Thanks!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I just hope it dont blow another one. Are you available after I put it back together?
Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

I will be away from my computer, but I will have my mobile phone available to correspond to you. It works the same.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok cool.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I got it running but the pto wont kick in.
Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

Very good! Do you have a multimeter, or a 12 volt test light to test voltage to your pto clutch.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I dont unfortunatley.
Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

We need to determine if our problem is caused by your pto switch, pto clutch, loose connection, etc.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
True. I have a feeling that its the switch itself or the expensive clutch.
Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

Hopefully it is not your pto clutch. You can wire your clutch directly from your battery, to check it.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
You mind telling me the best way to do that?
Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

Your clutch should have a negative and a positive wire in the connector, that attaches to it. You can run a jumper wire from your battery, to the positive wire that goes to your clutch. If your clutch is ok, you should hear a click. If you do not hear a click try jumping both wires. You can run a jumper wire from your frame to the negative wire on your clutch.

Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

If your clutch is ok, sometimes the problem can be either lose of ground, or lose of voltage. Without a testing tool, you will have to do it this way.

Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

Process of elimination.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I got under it and it appears that the steering is actually hitting the cluch.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This looks like the clutch wasnt torqued up enough on the shaft?
Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

That shouldn't prevent it from at least clicking. Tighten your bolt, then try it again.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Im gonna have to take it off. looks like a wire is by itself above the clutch and i noticed that it dont wanna turn correctly. Im sure there is a correlation.
Expert:  Donald replied 8 months ago.

It could be.