Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I am getting gas in my oil. 11 hp ohv engine.

Customer Question

Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.

Gas gets in oil from a leaking needle valve in the carburetor . It leaks, and the gas floods into the air intake where the vent hose from the crankcase is located. The gas runs through the vent line into the crankcase.

What is the engine make and model? It can only leak when engine is not being used. I assume if it has a gas shutoff, you did not use it.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I never had problems before without cutting off of the gas valve after shut down. After i shut it down it leaks gas on the ground. Do i have to change the whole carburetor or just rebuild it.

The needle valve and float is what controls the gas. You can rebuild it, but you may want to check the price of a carburetor too.