Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a Honda 3x390 with electric start and oil alert on a

Customer Question

I have a Honda 3x390 with electric start and oil alert on a 10a charging system that will turn over but wont start what could the problem be
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Honda gx390
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.

If you remove the spark plug and ground it, do you have spark when cranking? No spark, locate the coil and remove the kill wire to it. If no spark with kill wire removed, the coil has failed. If it does have spark when checked, put a teaspoon of fuel direct into the spark plug hole, re-install the spark plug and see if it will fire. If it does and dies, the fuel is not getting through the carb.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
how exactly should I ground the spark plug

The metal threaded part of the plug needs to be touching metal of the engine, or you can use a alligator clip on the thread, to ground it to the engine.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok now my plug to my ig coil has 3 wires running off of it yellow which is my low oil alert and then a black wire and a red wire the black one runs to the ig on my ig switch so that's my kill switch right and if so what is the red wire ive tried looking it up but cant find out what it is

Not sure what red wire would be,but the black wire is the one to remove and check for spark. I need the full model number of the engine to locate wiring.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I removed my spark plug and grounded it and when I tried cranking it it fried my ig coil so needless to say im not satisfied

I can only go by what you give me, I asked for model number and I still don't have it. Coil may have been bad already. Sorry.