Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a older model dixie chopper x2503. The Engine is not

Customer Question

I have a older model dixie chopper x2503. The Engine is not original but a original replacement. Experiencing run ability problems after engine heats up trying to cut taller grass. Maybe like the govener is not giving it the power it needs under strain? Do these engines have diaphragms that can busy causing the engine to load up on fuel or oil?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 months ago.

What is the engine make and model? Twin engine I assume. Do a cylinder balance test. Loosen the spark plug wires, and with the engine idling, remove one wire at a time. If engine dies when wire is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing. Check dead cylinder for spark. If it has spark, check compression.

I suspect engine is running on one cylinder.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank You Curtis. Does this sound like it needs to go to engine shop or could it be something that I could fix on my own? Does it sound like something internal or electrical? Does not seen to do it until engine gets got. I was wondering if Exhaust could be plugged if oil was getting past rings?

I suspect it has a bad coil and would be easily replaced , held on with two bolts, next to the flywheel. I doubt it is cylinder problem.

Do cylinder test when engine is acting up, hot.

Coil may not break down until hot!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks again. I need to do the testing that you have advised. I agree that it shouldn't be internal since this was a replacement engine and may have less than 1300 hrs on it.

OK> let me know.