Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I just got my Cub Cadet GT2542 with a Kohler engine all

Customer Question

Hello, I just got my Cub Cadet GT2542 with a Kohler engine all ready for summer with fluid and filter and sparkplug changes. The mower wouldn't start at first so I cleaned the carb, got everything put back together and primed with ether. Started right up! Took it for a spin to get the juices flowing and it ran fine until I started to shut it down. The sound the engine made sounded like someone was hitting it with a hammer! The only thing I did wrong was overfill the oil. Can this be the cause?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 months ago.

!! does the engine now start, or is it locked up?

If it turns, get the oil level down to the full mark and try it.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the engine starts

Get the oil down to the full mark and see if the noise goes away. If it still has noise, see if you can identify which cylinder side, and remove the valve cover on that cylinder, to check the valves. May have a stuck valve!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Also, it doesn't make the hammering sound when the choke is out all the way. It does kind of shake and runs rough. should I try the same thing?

Yes, I would want to locate the noise , as if it is a valve, it will get worse and destroy the engine,

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I got some of the oil out so I'm just waiting to check again. I may not be able to contact you this pm. I will try again tomorrow if this doesn't work.l

O> I will be here.