Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

Keep blowing 30 amp fuse on z4200 toro, when I unhook PTO it

Customer Question

keep blowing 30 amp fuse on z4200 toro, when I unhook PTO it doesnt blow, but the switch checks out when I check it with a meter. looked for bare wires at the carb. and looked at every possible wire looking for a short. Ive read the clutch might be bad. any thoughts on where to start from here?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.

Yes, take two wires direct from the battery to the electric clutch wires under the engine. Then with the wires unplugged from the harness, ENGINE OFF , touch the two wires from battery to the two clutch wires, Does the magnet engage and hold? Clutch should pull less than 5 amps, so if wires get big spark, or get hot, the clutch coil is shorted and the clutch needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i am at work now so I will try this tonight and let you know. thank you

OK> Thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hey Curtis, I havent tried your suggestion yet but was sitting here thinking about my mower problem, we were able to jump the starter and get it running over the weekend just not with the PTO switch plugged in. it didny blow the fuse. only time it blew the fuse was with the PTO switch plugged in. Ive got a new switch on order but like i said it checked out with a meter for continuity. If your test for the clutch doesnt work could it be something enternal in the starting of the motor? Just running through different senarios in my head, thanks

No, either the pto switch is bad, or the pto clutch! Nothing else would cause the fuse to blow when you plug in the pto switch.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
alright, got a head scratcher here. after unhooking almost everything on the mower and blowing 4 or 5 fuses i unplugged the resistor diode and the mower started, I plugged everything back in except the diode and it started and ran. I drove it to the garaged but never turned on the blades. could that diode be blowing the 30 amp fuse? that doesnt make sense why or how but thats where im at. I didnt have any more fuses to keep trying my luck last night but I didnt know if I was bypassing the problem with the diode out either so I didnt want to celebrate to early. Can i get a diode somewhere by just wlaking in or do I need to order one?

A diode is an electrical check valve, check it for continuity, it should have continuity in one direction only. You can buy a replacement diode at any electronic house, just get one with at least the same rating, or larger.