Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have an Elite Generator, Model # 30470. It will not spin

Customer Question

I have an Elite Generator, Model # ***** It will not spin the starter to turn the engine. I put the battery on the charger and it checks out at 13.1 volts, 100% charge. I checked the main wiring (red and black cables and connections). They are fine. I hooked it back up and tried to start it. Click, click, click, etc. Sounded like a car solenoid going out. I hooked up a spare battery to the original battery. The generator started right up. Is this a solenoid or an ignition switch problem? How can you tell? Thank you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 months ago.

No , it is bad battery! Test battery voltage when you turn the key to start, and it goes click click, rapid clicking, I bet battery voltage drops to near zero, it has to maintain at least 8 volts. Your's is not. Replace the battery and if you can , buy battery with highest CCA that is same size to fit.