Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

Motor on ride-on lawn mower - petrol flowed from fuel tank

Customer Question

motor on ride-on lawn mower - petrol flowed from fuel tank into sump over a two day period. Why?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer . First do not try to start or run the engine as it will either lock the motor up or score the cylinder . The reason this happens is the carburetor . What happens is the needle doesn't seal with the inlet valve depending on what engine you have in most cases the inlet valve is brass and wears over time . So when the float closes it pushes the needle up onto the inlet valve but gas will continue to flow over filling the carburetor and getting into the crankcase . To fix it the carburetor has to be removed and completely rebuilt meaning replacing the needle and inlet valve etc . And then drain and replace the oil . . If you give me the info on your engine I can try to help you find a rebuild kit .

Hi have you been able to check the carburetor yet on your engine ?