Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

L100 mower. Almost new. Not used all winter. Mower belt way

Customer Question

L100 mower. Almost new. Not used all winter. Mower belt way too loose. Adjusted the cable mount all the way back. Still too loose. Nothing visible amiss.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I looked at the manual. Other than the cable mount, I don't see any other things to adjust.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: this is everything I can see.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. Are you referring to your deck belt?

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

I am just confirming ...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That serpentine fan belt type thing that runs the mower off the PTO
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Do you have electric pto, or manual pto?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I assume it's manual. You pull a lever counter-clockwise and the "tensioning pulley" pushs on the belt to make it tight. With the cable mount adjusted all the way back, the belt gets just tight enough to make the blades turn, but slowely.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Your cable is attached to an idler arm, with an idler pulley mounted to it. Check to see if your idler arm is partially seized.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The idler arm is where the "tensioning pulley " is? I've taken the arm off to make sure it's not damaged, oiled it and it moves freely, but the cable just doesn't pull it quite tight enough. Could the cable possibly be stretched?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any other adjustment other that the cable mount that can be adjusted?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Your idler arm should pivot freely, back and forth, in order to tighten your belt, as you move your engagement lever.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You stated that your mower is almost new. How old is your mower?

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

There are not any other adjustments for tightening your belt.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm looking at the PDF diagram of the mower deck. Coincidentally, I noticed that the brake on the right mower brake does not fully squeeze in on that spindle sheave. Since it seems to be involved with that same flat idler sheave, I'm wondering if that part (flat idler sheave) might not be right. I bought the mower last summer and used it for just a few months.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Your your brakes are suppose to release, as you are engaging your blades.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Does your belt appear to be worn?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The belt appears to be pretty new. The brake seems to be always released and doesn't engage. I think this thing has a 1 year warrantee, and I may have to use that.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

If your brakes are not moving fully and freely, this could be a part of our problem.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

If your local shop can get to you in a reason amount of time, it will be great to carry it in, and let them resolve our problem for you.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Something is not moving freely as your cable tightens your idler arm.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm pretty sure that anything wrong is on the mower deck. I don't want to have to load the whole tractor into my PU truck. I'll call them tomorrow and see what we can do. Thanks for giving me a listen.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome! I do hope all goes well for you. I do believe that there is a simple solution to our problem. Hopefully they will get your mower up and running real soon.