Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have a Kohler marine generator that has 250 hours. It has

Customer Question

I have a Kohler marine generator that has 250 hours. It has not been started or used in a while. I had a friend who happens to service generators for at&t cell towers everyday. He looked at it, got it to turn over, and then got it to fire up and crank - for a short time. He suggested I have a bad ground. The choke/throttle had been froze up- he cleaned it and got it functioning. Fuel pump was pumping fine. He recommended that I get the help of a marine generator mechanic, and plan on having it completely serviced, have the carb rebuilt, replace the controller along with the voltage regulator( he said it was most likely a single plug-in unit).
Koher Generator info: Model:5E-BB, SPEC. PA-19905, HZ 60, RPM 3600, Fuel Gasoline, Serial Number:(###) ###-####.
Can you help me with part numbers, and a vendor to purchase these parts, a mechanic who can handle this job, trouble shoot the problems, and to improve the grounding of the generator. Thank you! Glen ****(###) ###-####
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 12 months ago.

I have uploaded a copy of the parts manual for your unit.

Click here to download it.

To find our nearest authorized parts and service dealer, go to http://www.kohlerpower.com/onlinecatalog/salesservicelocator.htm?sectionNumber=

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I am very disappointed with this answer. It is not what I requested.
I can download parts catalogs and find local service techs. Your service sucks the big one!
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
to add insult to injury, you guys wanted me to add more dollars to get a quicker answer. This is not the answer I wanted or paid for- you guys are a total rip- off!
Expert:  Hank F. replied 12 months ago.

You specifically asked "Can you help me with part numbers, and a vendor to purchase these parts, a mechanic who can handle this job, trouble shoot the problems, and to improve the grounding of the generator."

That is what I gave you - the part numbers, a place to get them, and a place to find a service tech who can work on your unit.

If you wanted something else, you should have stated what you wanted.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I did not get one part number.
I did not get grounding info.
I did not get the name and number of a place to purchase the parts at a discount.
I got nothing!
Expert:  Hank F. replied 12 months ago.

The manual gives the part number for every single part in that genset - what do you mean you did not get a single part number? You got the entire parts manual.

You are not going to be able to purchase the parts at a discount - they must come from an authorized Kohler distributor, which I also told you how to find your nearest one.

You also asked for a mechanic who could, and I quote, "handle this job, trouble shoot the problems, and to improve the grounding of the generator." I also gave you the way to find your nearest authorized mechanic. I do not know where you live, and would not know any mechanics in your area.

I have no idea what you mean by "improve the grounding of the generator". I can not see your application, and that would need to be discussed with a person who can see it. But I don't know why the grounding would need to be improved. As long as all grounding straps and bonding are in place, it is grounded to the specifications of the design.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 12 months ago.

In the parts manual, the part number for the main controller is GM10516.

It is available from your nearest authorized Kohler distributor, which I already gave you instructions for how to locate.

It is also available here:

http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcart/gm10516-control-kohler-marine-genset-p-890.html

Also in the parts manual, the part number for the voltage regulator is G-278598. It is also available from your nearest Kohler distrbiutor, as well as here:

http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcart/kohler-generator-voltage-regulator-f228605-p-121.html

To find a mechanic who can work on your unit, you will need to contact Kohler to find the name of your nearest dealer/technician. You might also check with local marinas. I have no idea where you are located, and can not do this for you.