Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a JD x320 that I am having trouble with. It will

Customer Question

I have a JD x320 that I am having trouble with. It will start when choked but once the choke is released it stops running
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: ok, it starts when choked but quits when the choke is released
JA: Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: not that I can think of. I have communicated with Curtis before, is he still the small engine tech?
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. If you prefer, I can opt, and you can wait for Curtis to step in.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, have you checked the float bowl to see if it may have arer in it? When was the mower last run? Do you have fuel getting to the carburetor in quantity through the fuel filter?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

This engine has an electric solenoid, that can be screwed from the carburetor bowl to drain it.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

With it running only with choke on, you are starving for fuel. It is not getting through the main jet into the cylinders. This electric solenoid can be stick, it does plug the main jet, and has to open when key is turned on!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it appears there is sufficient fuel in the lines. I will remove the solenoid and drain the bowl. and go from there. as I recall solenoid removal requires a non standard size... kind of a pain!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Is the fuel solenoid clicking when key is turned on? Does it have 12 volts to it when key is on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good question let's check, yes the solenoid appears to be functional
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK, when did it last run? It may need a carburetor cleaning.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I start it with the choke when I release the choke it revs to where you would expect then fluctuates up and down
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A few weeks ago, you could be right, but I just serviced the carb last fall (you helped me sort out an issue at that time and I cleaned the carb then)
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I understood it died when choke was removed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ultimately it dies after a bit of time (less than 1 min)
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK> drain the carb and go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like a plan
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cleaned the carb and it seems to be good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well it ran normally for ten min then started to struggle and only got it back up to the house by feathering the choke... Uggg
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Did you find any debris in carb? Was solenoid working correctly? Needle valve passage from the inlet to the bowl may be restricted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will tear it apart again in the am and check the needle valves there was not any debris in the carb
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK>

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Curtis, I tore the carb apart again and shot all the raceways and ports with carb cleaner. Seems like its clean, but same as before, it ran good for 10 min or so then back to the same issue.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Is the electric solenoid in the side of the bowl, where you could remove it and plug the hole for test. Test with it removed!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks! Check the suction from the tank to the fuel pump!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I do that by removing the fuel line from the tank side of the fuel pump?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you could, put line in a fuel container.