Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have an Onan 5.5HGJAB-1038D. I'm replacing the carb, but I

Customer Question

I have an Onan 5.5HGJAB-1038D. I'm replacing the carb, but I can't seem to find a match. I find some that say they're compatible but the fuel filter application looks different. The current carb I have has the threaded type with female end on carb. If they no longer sell the carb and I have to switch, which carb should I buy and what matching fuel filter should I get?
Also If I have to switch anything else I should be aware of, such as governor linkage changes and such.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

I'm showing this as a replacement: http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/cfp/generator-coach/carburator-repair-kit/541-0765.htm?utm_source=google&utm_medium=partsshopping&utm_campaign=partsfeed&jt=1&jap=1o1&js=1&jsid=36859&jcpid=8a8ae4cd48005458014820e2e0170ec4&jkId=gcp:se_36859:pp_78405145104:ag_15211804824:cp_194253624:n_g:d_c:cr_52737673584&gclid=CjwKEAjww9O3BRDp1tq0jIP023YSJAB0-j1ScnRZyCPrHeUiXGaSV8Bo1idLxcDC1X4VrDdCdc7iLxoCkk3w_wcB

The fuel filter only matters in the aspect it provides the same filtration min as the factory and does not restrict, it is not as important as the pump and carb but does play a role.

I'm showing a replacement fuel filter of Part Number:48-2048 for the hgjab engines. Even if a line was changed and not threaded it would simply take a threaded to barb connector to use it.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.