Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a Cub Cadet RZT that will not turn over- it says the

Customer Question

I have a Cub Cadet RZT that will not turn over- it says the PTO is engaged, but the PTO knob is in in the disengaged position.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Hello Bill. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. I will need to ask you some troubleshooting questions as we go. Are you saying that when you turn your key to start position, nothing happens?

Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

If you turn your turn ignition switch on, then turn your pto knob on and off, do you hear your pto clutch turning on and off?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Correct. When ignition switch is on, the only sound is the PTO switch itself being pulled or pushed into position with no other sounds.
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Do you hear the pto clutch clicking on the bottom of your engine?

Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Did our problem occur suddenly, or gradually, over time?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do not hear anything except the plastic PTO switch clicking on or off- nothing beneath.
Never had any problem ever before- just tried to crank it up for spring and...nothing.
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for this information. Are you familiar with using a screwdriver to jump across the post on your solenoid?

Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

is your battery fully charged?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am not familiar with that. As far as I know the battery is fine.
I am multi tasking, and the mower is out in my barn, so forgive me if my responses are not timely.
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

No problem. Do you have a multimeter, or a volt meter to use for checking voltage?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do not. I am not an electricity sort of guy. There is definitely power, but whether or not it is a fully charged battery I do not know.
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for your reply. I wanted to do some troubleshooting, if you had a meter. Your pto switch could be at fault, but I like to check first.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have little expertise in this, but it would seem that either the blades are engaged and the switch is no longer able to disengage them, OR there is a sensor that is telling the ignition that the blades are engaged when in fact they are not.
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

I agree. What you are saying, is very possible. Your pto switch could have a faulty circuit that is causing our problem. When you have a chance, disconnect the wiring connector from your pto switch. Let's see if it still says "PTO is engaged", after you disconnect your wiring connector ...

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok- sorry about the lag time there...
I am not in any way electrically knowledgeable. What I did was every time I went near the mower, I pulled the PTO switch into the engage position, then pushed it to disengage and tried to turn the engine over. After 5 days of this sort of obsessive-compulsive (and seemingly futile) behavior, the engine sputtered as if trying to start. Immediately afterward, the battery light came on. I then jumped the mower off from my car and have had no problems since. Now that the engine will turn over, it should be no problem to load the mower on a trailer and take it for proper service. Thanks for your help and patience.
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.

Bill, you are very welcome! Thanks for the follow up, to let me know. I do hope all goes well for you.