Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a model 917.28851 riding mower. Worked fine last

Customer Question

I have a model 917.28851 riding mower. Worked fine last year. Started fine today but will not move either in drive nor push mode. As if locked up.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Will it roll in freewheel? Is freewheel released? If it will not roll, brakes are locked. Have you had either rear wheel off for flat repair?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

To release brakes, look under the right rear wheel , just ahead of the axle, there will be a mechanical dics brake, two bolts hold the caliper, loosen these tow bolts, and tap the bake to get it freed up. With brake freed, oil it with WD40, and retighten the bolts!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Did you find the brakes were locked?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Did not find a disk brake with 2 bolts as you mentioned.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 12 months ago.

!! you are correct, this model has internal brake! Is the belt turning the top pulley on the transmission? And you have had neither of the rear tires off? Are you in the habit of setting the brake when you get off the unit?