Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

My name is ***** *****. My issue is wit a GT 262 that will

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. My issue is wit a GT 262 that will crank, (good battery) and new sparkplug, but backfires in the carbuerator when cranking the starter. Any ideas?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The engine won't start, but will make popping sounds as if there's detonation, but won't start and run.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When are you going to provide an answer?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm going to report your website as a scam and a fraud and cancelling the payment on my credit card.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.

Hang on!

This is the single cylinder Kawasaki engine? When was engine last run?

Backfiring through the carburetor when cranking, can be a valve that is stuck. Remove the valve cover and check the valve movement.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Anything else?

That is a start, are you close to the mower where we can try this and other test? Would you have a compression gage to see if it has low compression from a valve not seating?

When did you last run the mower?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am close to it, but don't have a compression gauge. I started doing this the first time right after it had been running for an hour or so after it had been shut off for 30 minutes or so in December. I put it away for the winter, and now it's doing the same thing.

Backfire is typically spark occurring when the valve is open. Can you remove the rocker cover and check the valves?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The JD technician said via phone it could be a timing issue with the timing gear. I suppose that could cause improper valve timing too?

Timing is a possible problem, but I doubt it would be the cam gear. Mire likely would be the flywheel timing key, between flywheel and crankshaft. But I would rule out the valves first! Much easier to check!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, thanks. I'll check that first. Sorry I got nervous when I didn't get a response for quite a while when I was expecting 8 minutes.

Experts work from home, and I was out walking my dog!

Did you find problem?